Saturday, September 26, 2009

SAME AGE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!



Kate's birthday was yesterday and my birthday is tomorrow. Kate was born in 1984 and I was born in 1983. So, this is the one day of the year that Kate and I are the same age. We spend pretty much all day needlessly asking one another how old we are.

"Hey, Thomas. How old are you?"

"Me? Oh, I'm 25. Why? How old are you?"

"Hmm. That's weird. I'm 25, too."

"Oh, that's so weird that we're the same age."

It's better when we have an audience to annoy but that was not the case today unfortunately.

We got up in Vancouver around 8 AM, had our complimentary muffins and left for Portland. We had to wait for like 40 minutes at the border and during our wait Kate spotted an eldery couple in a car with a bumper sticker that said something to the effect of "I wonder if you'd drive better with that car phone shoved up your butt." I don't know what else to say about that.

Today being Saturday, we were obligated to stop for services. We found a sports bar just south of Seattle where we hoped we would be able to attend worship. I was a little concerned that we would not be able to see the broadcast or there would be too many people watching something else to convince the proprietors to change the channel. These fears were alleviated as soon as we walked in and saw Terrelle Pryor on about 5 different television sets. We decided to make today my birthday lunch. So, for the next three hours, I drank beer, ate mediocre chicken wings and nachos, and watched the Buckeyes shutout Juice Williams and the rest of Fightin' Illini. Throughout almost the entire game, we were the only people in there apart from the bartender/cook. I think at one point there might have been four other people there. So, we had the place to ourselves and were able to watch the game WITH AUDIO. Great success.

Following our lunch break, we hit the road for Portland. We arrived at our hostel around 6 pm and there were a couple of kids waiting at the front desk and now employee present. Kate hit a page button that was on the desk with a note attached to it saying "Press if no one is at desk." These two geniuses saw this and said, "How'd you find that? We were looking for something like that for like five minutes." Really? It took my wife all of about 0.25 seconds. When an employee did arrive, the young gents said, "Yeah, we're looking for a hostel." The front desk guy, to his credit, said "Yes, this is a hostel" or something to that effect rather than taking the opportunity to be snarky (as I would have). "Can we get a room?" "Do you have a reservation? We're all booked for the night." Obviously, these two do not have a reservation. The guy offers a list of other budget accomodations in the area which the ring leader briefly glances at and then says, "Yeah, I'm over it." He gives the front desk guy an awkward high five and he and his cohort leave. I'm not sure what sort of shenanigans these two were planning to get involved in that they felt they needed a hotel room but I'm pretty glad that their attempts were foiled. I sort of wish that Adam, the front desk guy, had ust made up the fact that they were booked full but if it was a lie, he must be a compulsive liar because he said it to other people.

Kate and I went for a brief walk through the neighborhood which is home to a lot of cool restaurants, bars and shops. Tomorrow, I think we are going to go to a biscuit place we saw on the Food Network, check out a famous bookstore called Powell's and visit some of the city parks.

CAUGHT UP!

1 comment: