Friday, September 25, 2009

"I like your glasses.....they're very Seattle."










We awoke on the morning of September 23 and headed to Downtown Seattle after a breakfast of pop tarts. First stop: Pike Street Market aka THE PLACE WHERE THEY THROW THE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!! The market was a lovely place and would've been even more lovely if I wasn't guarding my wallet like a Jonas brother clinging to his virginity. Lots of cool vendors selling flowers, fruit, donuts, meat, and fish and other lame vendors selling useless crap. One savvy salesman saw Kate and I for the rubes that we are and started talking to us. He started with:



"Congratulations."

"What? Are you talking to us?"

"Yeah, congratulations."

"Congratulations, you're at the produce stand."
"Oh, yes. I suppose we are. Thank you?"

We made small talk for a moment and then the guy asked me how old I was. I told him I am 25.
"Oh, I thought you were older than me. I'm going to be 30. No offense."

He then tells me, "I like your glasses. They're very Seattle."

This is funny to Kate and I because I was very much on the fence about buying my current glasses b/c I didn't think I could pull them off. My impression of them was that they were essentially "too Seattle." So, Kate wins. Damn. The guy was quite the salesman and talked us into buying an apple. I hope he's able to retire on the commission from that one.








After our walk in the market, Kate and I split up and took a couple of hours to ourselves to wander around the Waterfront/Piers area. After reuniting, we read in our atlas about a "Don't Miss Drive" that offered great views of Seattle and the surrounding bays and mountains. Given that this was a free activity and we were at a loss for things to do, we decided to take this drive. We took some good pictures and stumbled upon a couple really nice parks. One was called "Parsons Gardens" and seemed to be someone's private garden that had been donated upon their death. Whatever the backstory may be, it was lovely.



No comments:

Post a Comment