Saturday, May 30, 2009

Update

PENO is apparently in town with Chris this weekend. I just texted Dan to go fight him.


---------------------------------------------------------

Non Double Brother Thoughts

Last night. Wow. Kate and I went with some friends to play whirlyball. If you're not familiar with whirly ball, let me just tell you: it is amazing. Words do not do it justice. I'm not going to attempt to describe it myself. I'm just going link to the whirly ball website and let you discover it yourself. I did find this bit of text amusing though:

Agility. Speed. Strength. None of these qualities will be of any use
in the highly-competitive world of WhirlyBall. Although it combines lacrosse,
hockey and basketball with bumper cars, WhirlyBall has caused great athletes of
every stripe to laugh and holler their way to a crushing defeat.

Sounds awesome, right? But I haven't even mentioned the best part yet. Whirlyball = BYOB. Your mind just exploded. That's right. You can play this ridiculous sport/game and get absolutely schwasted in the process. There are no sobriety tests. There are no cops to pull you over. They even provide a refrigerator for you to keep your brews cold.

Here is the website: http://www.whirlyball.com/what/

So, possibly even better than whirlyball itself were the arrangements for getting there. The organizer of this soiree, in his infinite wisdom, had the awesome idea to rent a 20 person party bus to drive us to the whirlyball rink/arena/court/whatever. So, the plan was for everyone to meet at a central location and then board the bus and head over to the rink/arena/court/whatever. Prior to leaving, Kate had a couple of beers and had the AWESOME idea that we should probably grab drinks for the walk over to the meeting place. I LOVE it when Kate comes up with ideas like this. It seemed like something one of my asshole friends would suggest. She is not always super excited about doing seemingly unreasonable/irresponsible things like this so when she suggested it I knew it was going to be a good night. So, I grabbed a water bottle (it seemed more discreet than a bottle in a paperbag) and pour in about 5 ounces of Seagram's 7 and topped the water bottle off with ginger ale. It was DELICIOUS. Needless to say, the walk over was delightful. When we arrived, we had a beer after finishing the Ginger 7s and prepared for the arrival of the party bus. When it arrived, we jokingly asked the driver if we could drink on the bus. The response, "Yeah, just don't throw any on the floor." Jackpot. As we were driving over to the rink/arena/court/whatever and "It's Gettin' Hot in Herr" was playing, I thought to myself, "Life is good."

Another great thing about this whole set up were all the incentives to drink. Oh, I've gotta finish my beer before I get on the party bus (yes, I realize this makes no sense but this was my thought process). Oh, we've arrived at the rink/arena/court/whatever, I need to take care of this beer. I better drink up so I can play whirlyball. Oh, I just played whirlyball. I haven't had a drink in ten minutes. I better crack another one open. At one point, I got roped into shotgunning a beer outside (we're civilized) and a family was on their way out of the rink/arena/court/whatever. Uh oh. Fun's over. Nope, they were highly amused and acted as though they wanted to join. Whirly ball players = salt of the fucking earth.

We then took the party bus back to our friend's house and played flip cup. It was a good night.

Not such a great morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment